On distortion and optimal projections

General discussion of map projections.
quadibloc

Re: On distortion and optimal projections

Post by quadibloc »

daan wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:37 amI don’t interpret dummy_index’s comments that way.
Well, given
daan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pmOdd observation: These observations hold regardless of the region’s shape on the globe.
I didn't know how else to interpret them - except that, if what you're saying is that this is not what was meant, I agree with you. His comments might have appeared to say that, but no doubt this is just some trivial garble. But since this is what the comments appear to say, my point was that it's pretty hard at this stage to try and work out what they really say in order to discuss them.
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Dummy_index’s observations do not contradict this:
quadibloc wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:10 amObviously, taking an odd-shaped area on the globe, and distorting it into a circle, won't produce less angular error in an equal-area map than producing a map that is close to the same shape would be able to.
What dummy_index correctly observes is that a circular boundary will always yield the smallest possible constant angular deformation along the boundary. Since my hypothesis contradicted this, my hypothesis was wrong. My hypothesis posited that the projection with the least average angular deformation would also have a boundary with constant angular deformation, and that the boundary’s angular deformation would be the minimum possible for the region’s boundary while being the maximum value on the map.

My candidate optimal equal-area projection of the world may still be optimal by some criteria, but I don’t know what those criteria are. They may be as simple as “least average angular deformation” (by, you know, some definition of “average” and some calculation of “angular deformation”). I don’t expect to be able to prove that. I don’t even expect to be able to demonstrate it convincingly, but likely will spend a lot more time trying.

Cheers,
— daan
Piotr

Post by Piotr »

daan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 am What about a world map? With world maps, you have to be careful and state clearly what you mean: a world map that is only ripped at one point, like an azimuthal projection? A world map that is ripped along an entire meridian like the maps I show on this page? Something else? If you only interrupt at one point, the optimal conformal map is the stereographic, which is not very satisfying because it is infinite in extent. If you permit interruption along an entire meridian, like most world maps you see, then the optimal conformal map is the Eisenlohr.

In short, the theory of conformal projections is well developed. It draws upon the vast literature and flexibility of complex analysis.
Is there a parametric version which is the optimal conformal projection interrupted by a parametric fraction of a great circle?
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Piotr wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:08 am
daan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:50 am What about a world map? With world maps, you have to be careful and state clearly what you mean: a world map that is only ripped at one point, like an azimuthal projection? A world map that is ripped along an entire meridian like the maps I show on this page? Something else? If you only interrupt at one point, the optimal conformal map is the stereographic, which is not very satisfying because it is infinite in extent. If you permit interruption along an entire meridian, like most world maps you see, then the optimal conformal map is the Eisenlohr.

In short, the theory of conformal projections is well developed. It draws upon the vast literature and flexibility of complex analysis.
Is there a parametric version which is the optimal conformal projection interrupted by a parametric fraction of a great circle?
Not that I know of. It’s unlikely that such a projection would have a general solution that can be expressed in known functions.

— daan
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

daan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 am Not that I know of. It’s unlikely that such a projection would have a general solution that can be expressed in known functions.
I certainly haven't heard of it.

But I can imagine what such a projection might be like for three values of the parameter:

0: the Stereographic of the whole world
0.5: the Eisenlohr
1: two Stereographic hemispheres

So it does not seem to me that it would be impossible for someone to generalize it.
dummy_index

Post by dummy_index »

quadibloc wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:51 pm
daan wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 am Not that I know of. It’s unlikely that such a projection would have a general solution that can be expressed in known functions.
I certainly haven't heard of it.

But I can imagine what such a projection might be like for three values of the parameter:

0: the Stereographic of the whole world
0.5: the Eisenlohr
1: two Stereographic hemispheres

So it does not seem to me that it would be impossible for someone to generalize it.
If you are OK with approximation, I did it with particular values, 0.25 and 0.75.

https://dummy-index.hatenablog.jp/entry ... /22/132743

0.25:
ApproxEisenlohr270_scale.png
ApproxEisenlohr270_scale.png (96.89 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
0.75: (attention that minimum scale point is not at center.)
ApproxEisenlohr90_scale.png
ApproxEisenlohr90_scale.png (129.58 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
http://www.quadibloc.com/maps/mcf0702.htm
Previously, I did approximate the Eisenlohr projection, based on your complex transformation.
And now I added the method to change the connection between two hemispheres, also you explain.
There is a prospect of parametrized approximation formula.
Special thanks to you, quadibloc.
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

I am glad I provided some inspiration, but you get the credit for the hard work!
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Sorry I haven’t commented yet; I’m still looking into your results in relation to my own investigations.

It’s interesting that you’re getting results this close to optimal with your method, as I see on your linked page. I will have more to say later, I hope.

— daan
Milo

Post by Milo »

Hello!

I've been dabbling in map projections for a while. Not professionally or anything, just someone who thinks recreational mathematics is a fun way to pass the time :)

Recently I've come across a link to this thread. I've found it an interesting read, because I'd been thinking about similar things for a while. Maps that are provably optimal by some metric appeal more to my sense of mathematical elegance than just something that someone thought looked good. (Of course, there are a bunch of different metrics you could use, so that still allows a library of projections to choose from.) I like the Eisenlohr's design philosophy of "do one thing perfectly, and then optimize as well as you can in other respects", but I prefer equal-area maps over conformal ones, so I've been searching for a while for what could fit the bill.

I'd actually independently come up with some of the things that got discussed in that thread. It's kind of embarrassing how close I got without ever realizing that a simple rescaling of the Hammer projection meets the optimization criteria I was looking for. (And also looks pretty ugly, which just serves as an indication that I need to come up with better optimization criteria.)

I registered an account, though, in order to comment on this:
daan wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:30 amThe reality is the opposite: a closed path having no distortion on an equal-area projection can’t exist because the bounded area will always be too small. I was thinking of a different situation here and misapplying it.
daan wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:23 pm
  • Concerning a region of interest on the ellipsoid, the equal-area projection that gives the shortest possible closed path of constant angular deformation (isocol) bounding that region is the projection whose bounding isocol has the smallest possible measure for a bounding isocol.
  • The shortest closed path is circular. Therefore the map with the smallest min/max angular deformation will be a circle with the same surface area as the region from the ellipsoid as long as some interior point has no distortion.
Odd observation: These observations hold regardless of the region’s shape on the globe.
This is incorrect.

For any circular shape on the globe, its area will always be greater than any Euclidean shape of the same perimeter, and therefore, projecting it as a circle is the closest you can do.

However, shapes on the globe can come with a wide variety of area-to-perimeter relationships, and for some shapes (particularly those which are long and thin), those values will fall within the range of what is also permissible for Euclidean shapes.

For example, consider a digon: a region bounded by two meridians, at an angle of theta from each other. It is obvious that, on the sphere, this region has a perimeter of 2*pi and an area of 2*theta.

In Euclidean space, the largest shape with a perimeter of 2*pi is the unit circle, with an area of pi. Therefore, when theta > pi/2, the shape cannot be mapped in a way that preserves both area and perimeter, and you're stuck approximating it as a circle.

When theta = pi/2 exactly (corresponding to one quadrant of the globe), the area and perimeter of the digon on the sphere match those of the circle on the plane. As such they can be projected onto each other... in this case rather easily, through a variant of the Hammer concept that dummy_index pioneered. I have attached an example of this projection, which is indeed an equal-area map that is perfectly conformal along the boundary, with the exception of singularities at the poles. (Examples without singularities probably exist, but I don't feel up to trying to find them.) This also shows that the map which has lowest distortion at the boundary will not necessarily have the lowest distortion everywhere, since while this example map is distortion-free at the boundary, it quite clearly is not inside it!

When theta < pi/2, the desired area and perimeter will be reached by something other than a circle. Generally, there will be more than one such shape.

None of this is likely to be very relevant to mapping the whole world, unless you want to interrupt the projection so the world is cut into a long narrow strip that wraps around it like a mummy (a "world tour" projection displaying the world as it would be perceived by someone trying to visit all of it in the most efficient way possible?). Still, I wanted to point it out.
Attachments
antihammer.png
antihammer.png (166.34 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

You are absolutely correct!
I had to think about this for a while to see how it was that you could be correct, and yet I accepted the statement by Daniel Strebe as not only correct, but obviously correct.
For starters, why is he right in the case of a circular area on the globe?
The sphere is not a reducible surface. So there's more area inside a circle on a globe as there is on a plane.
As the circle is the shape that encloses a given area with the minimum perimeter, there's no way to change the shape of a circle so that its ratio of perimeter to area is increased to match that of the circle on the globe.
So if the area on the globe were, say, in the shape of a narrow ellipse, one could match the perimiter-area relationship on a plane by using a less narrow ellipse, for example. So, indeed, it is possible to avoid singularities and achieve the result you note. (Unlike the case of a quadrant of the sphere, though, this would involve difficult mathematics, most likely elliptic integrals.)