Exporting graticule in vector format

Discussion of troubles you experience and possible bugs.
Martin

Exporting graticule in vector format

Post by Martin »

I need to export a graticule from Geocart to a CAD program so I can eventually get some templates of the curves cut by CNC.

I need to export the graticule in a vector format, and I see that there is an option in Geocart to export document as a PDF. However, when I try to open this PDF File in my CAD program I get a "PDF File Read Error" saying "There are no objects to load in this file"

The guy at CAD support suggested that some PDF files only contain Raster data so cant be read by a CAD program, though I would have thought that a PDF of the graticule would be in vector format.

I was wondering if you know what is going on here or if you have any sugestions on how to do this.

Thanks
Martin
daan
Site Admin

Re: Exporting graticule in vector format

Post by daan »

Hello Martin.

I’m puzzled. The graticule is always exported as vectors (in fact, as Bézier curves) for PDF. If there are no raster databases present in the map then there won’t even be a raster layer in the PDF. Maybe the CAD software can’t interpret Bézier curves?

If you have Adobe Illustrator, you might try the post processing script (GeocartLayers.jsx) found in Geocart’s Sample Documents folder. It restructures the PDF in ways that are helpful for editing, including removing unhelpful clipping masks. Perhaps that will placate the CAD software.

Regards,
— daan
Martin

Post by Martin »

Hi Daan,

Thanks for the quick response.

RhinoCAD support have told me that "Not all PDF files contain geometry that Rhino recognises. This one appears to be one of those." - so it sounds like it cant interpret the Bezier curves.

Rhino does also import Adobe Illustrator files ( .ai ), though the same problem might persist in these. The standard format to use in this situation are Drawing Exchange Files ( .DXF ) which all CAD programs can read.

I was about to ask you to save the file for me as an .ai file, but Ive just found a PDF to DXF converter service online http://www.pdftodxf.com/ I thought id still send the note for your general info.

Many Thanks
Martin
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Thanks, Martin. It would not surprise me to learn that the CAD software cannot convert Béziers. I would be keen to hear how pdftodxf works for you.

Regards,
— daan
Martin

Post by Martin »

Unfortunately, I havnt had much luck with the PDF file converters Ive tried.

pdftodxf.com sent me an automated reply saying the file contained raster data (which it doesn't) and I would have to pay to get it converted.
This one: http://download.cnet.com/AutoDWG-PDF-to ... 75460.html just returned a black rectangle when I converted the file
And these people http://www.formatconversion.com/ quoted me $115 to do the conversion. Their software looks like it works by turning raster data into vector, rather than just converting the geometry directly.

A friend of mine who runs AutoCAD was also unable to open the file. So it looks like the PDF might be incompatible with all CAD software, not just mine.
He did say though: "I've also had this issue with beizer line when other people have opened my files." which seems to imply that AutoCAD can work with Bezier curves.
RhinoCAD, the program I'm using, is apparantly built around something called NURBS.

I dont have Adobe Illustrator or Acrobat, so please would you do me the favour of opening the PDF in Adobe Illustrator and saving it as an AI file and any other kind of file that your system will allow on the off chance that I will then be able to open it.

Here is a list of file types Rhino can read:

.3ds (3dstudio max)
.ai (Adobe Illustrator)
.asc (points)
.csv (points)
.csv (properties)
.dgn (MicroStation)
.dwg (AutoCAD)
.dxf (AutoCAD)
.fbx (Autodesk)
.gdf (WAMIT)
.gf (GHS - General Hydrostatics Geometry)
.gft (GHS - General Hydrostatics Geometry)
GHS (General Hydrostatics Geometry)
.gts (GNU Triangulated Surface)
.kml (Google Earth)
.lwo (LightWave 3D)
.obj (Wavefront)
.off (Geomview)
.pdf (Portable Document File)
.pm (GHS - General Hydrostatics Geometry)
.pov (Persistence of Vision Raytracer)
.ps (PostScript)
.raw (Raw Triangle)
.rib (RenderMan)
.sat (ACIS)
.skp (SketchUp)
.slc (Slice)
.step (Standard for the Exchange of Product Model Data)
.stl (Stereolithography)
.txt (points)
.udo (Moray)
.vda (Verband der Automobileindustrie)
.vrml (Virtual Reality Model Language)
.x (DirectX)
.x_t (Parasolid)
.xgl (Solaris)
.txt (points)

and here are the notes about importing .ai and .pdf files from the Rhino manual

.ai (Adobe Illustrator)
Notes
Rhino cannot open CS2 files are later. Save your file from Adobe Illustrator as a version CS (version 11) or older file format.
Rhino only reads curve geometry, not text. Convert text to curves before saving or exporting the Adobe Illustrator file.

.pdf (Portable Document File)
Notes
Rhino does not read encrypted PDF files.
The PDF reader lets you read two types of files: PDF file and newer Adobe Illustrator files.
It is recommended for reading PDF files with graphics, but not for PDF files with a lot of text.
If the PDF file contain multiple pages, the PDF reader reads only the first page.
You can scale the objects to fit the default view.

I just tried to attach my PDF file to this message but it failed, saying "The extension pdf is not allowed." so perhaps you could let me know your email and Ill send it to you that way.

Thank you
Martin