Tips and tricks for using Geocart 3
Piotr

What is Add test page items?

Post by Piotr »

daan
Site Admin

Re: What is Add test page items?

Post by daan »

Nothing in the Test menu is, or will be, documented.

— daan
Piotr

Post by Piotr »

daan wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 am Nothing in the Test menu is, or will be, documented.

— daan
Is this another Snyder quote?
Piotr

Post by Piotr »

I'm starting to think that Snyder described the entire software, and you are the one implementing it.
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Which you know very well is false. Hopefully you’re finished trolling now. If not, well…

— daan
Piotr

Post by Piotr »

daan wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:19 am Which you know very well is false. Hopefully you’re finished trolling now. If not, well…

— daan
Why do you keep saying "you know very well"
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Piotr wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:21 am Why do you keep saying "you know very well"
Why do you keep stating things that you know very well to be true or false already?

— daan
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

daan wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:34 amNothing in the Test menu is, or will be, documented.
I presume this is because the purpose of the Test menu is to assist personnel developing Geocart in debugging the program. In that case, I am rather surprised that the Test menu is even visible in the product as shipped.

I am aware that the objection may be raised that removing the Test menu from the program, and recompiling it, is a change to the program, which may introduce new bugs that could no longer be dealt with. However, there are other well-known techniques, such as making it accessible by means of a code within the serial number and corresponding license activation key.
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Oh, the test menu isn’t available to customers in the product. I presume Piotr scanned the executable, worked out the incantations required to enable the menu, and perhaps was hoping to be praised for his cleverness. Or something.

Or, maybe there’s some bug that exposes the menu. I don’t see any way that would happen, though.

— daan
quadibloc

Post by quadibloc »

One good thing has come out of this: in searching for the routine from Singing in the Rain, I Iearned that the tongue-twister had been around long before the movie was made.