Geodesics

Tips and tricks for using Geocart 3
Maezar

Geodesics

Post by Maezar »

Hi there,

It's been some time so I thought I'd request again to have some simple geometric solid projections.

I would love to be able to project a map onto a Regular Dodecahedron or Icosahedron.
If this isn't possible natively, are there some "long hand" steps that could achieve a passable result?

Thanks and best regards,

M
daan
Site Admin

Re: Geodesics

Post by daan »

Maezar wrote:Hi there,

It's been some time so I thought I'd request again to have some simple geometric solid projections.

I would love to be able to project a map onto a Regular Dodecahedron or Icosahedron.
If this isn't possible natively, are there some "long hand" steps that could achieve a passable result?

Thanks and best regards,

M
Hello Maezer.

There are two generic ways I know of to produce a useful projection for a polyhedral face: conformal or gnomonic. Geocart does not offer a generic conformal regular polygon, so that would be out. That leaves gnomonic. With a gnomonic projection centered on each face, the graticules of each face will match up along the edges, although, unlike conformal, they will be kinked where they meet up.

The long-hand steps would be:
1. Identify the geographical center point of each polygon face.
2. Create a gnomonic map for each face, centered on the geographic center of that face.
3. Crop each map to the shape of the face’s polygon.
4. Assemble.

Does that help?
— daan
Maezar

Post by Maezar »

Yes, that helps. Thank you! (It's been awhile, but I'm back on this :-))
I will struggle a bit with how to do the face centering. Any tips would be helpful, especially for the dodecahedron.
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

As it happens, I’m working on this at this very moment. :-)

Best,
— daan
Maezar

Post by Maezar »

> I’m working on this at this very moment.

This is really great news!
Maezar

Post by Maezar »

I'm back after some time. Did this ever come to pass? I will be updating to the latest version as soon as I go to Mac Big Sur. (Speaking of which, any issues there? I'll search :-)
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Did this ever come to pass?
It did! See release notes here.

Sadly, Big Sur broke our font engine, causing a crash when creating a map. I have a fix, but it hasn’t been released yet.

Cheers for the new year,
— daan