Copyright on "Stylized World Topo" RAW file

Tips and tricks for using Geocart 3
justinkunimune

Copyright on "Stylized World Topo" RAW file

Post by justinkunimune »

I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this, but may I use the input raw file for my own purposes? I understand that it comes from NASA's imagery, which is public commons, but you've made some nice modifications by improving the contrast and lightening the oceans, so should have some creative control over it. I think it's a great image and want to use it for my own map projection program that I'm making for fun and for personal use. Having the image would also let me make consistent images for the Wikipedia pages of map projections not supported in Geocart, like Cahill-Keyes and Lee Tetrahedral.
Justin Kunimune (he, him)
/ˈdʒʌstɪn kunɪˈmuneɪ/
Map projections and conlangs
daan
Site Admin

Re: Copyright on "Stylized World Topo" RAW file

Post by daan »

Hello justinkunimune, and welcome to the forums.

Thank you for inquiring. We can authorize using the Stylized World Topo imagery for your purposes specifically. There would be conditions:
  • The images must not be used in any commercial sense, whether sold directly or as content that draws ad revenue;
  • The images must not be redistributed in their original form. They must be “substantially modified” for distribution, such as, reprojected;
  • Imagery for public consumption should be visibly accompanied by, “Imagery courtesy NASA’s Earth Observatory, with modifications by Mapthematics LLC”.
These stipulations are a little tighter than images produced directly from Geocart, but hopefully would still serve your purposes.

Happy mapping!
— daan