Video file projection

Tips and tricks for using Geocart 3
Bernhard Jenny

Video file projection

Post by Bernhard Jenny »

daan,

Is there a way in Geocart to project a video file from Plate Carrée to another projection?

Thanks,
Bernie
daan
Site Admin

Re: Video file projection

Post by daan »

Hello Bernie.

By “video file”, do you mean a video clip, where many frames in the video clip consist a map in plate carrée projection? And you want the output to be a video clip also?

Or…?

Best,
— daan
Bernhard Jenny

Post by Bernhard Jenny »

Hello daan,

Yes, that is what I was thinking of. A batch process that can read, project, and write individual frames in numbered raster images would work as well. This would be useful for video maps such as this one: http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/details.cgi?aid=11719

Here is an interactive version I am working on (very much work in progress): http://cartography.oregonstate.edu/demo ... /NASA.html
I wanted to explore whether streaming a video map with an equal-area projection instead of the Plate Carrée has a significant enough impact on file size to justify the development of some extra web client logic. The web client would first inverse project the video to spherical coordinates before forward projecting to an interactive pointed polar equal area projection (currently Hammer).

Thanks,
Bernie
daan
Site Admin

Post by daan »

Bernie,

Geocart has no such facility. Cracking open arbitrary video formats would be unfeasibly complicated, so instead I’ll add “batch-processing of individual image files of identical projection” to the Wish List.

Thanks.
— daan
Bernhard Jenny

Post by Bernhard Jenny »

Thanks, daan. This would be a useful feature.
Bernie