plans for a sculpture

Tips and tricks for using Geocart 3
howitsmade

plans for a sculpture

Post by howitsmade »

Hello!
I'm a student of arts, specializing in sculpture.I want to make a big globe, and I want to ask, if its possible to make my plans for this sculpture in geocart?
I need to print a projection of a political map of the world(only the outlines of the countries, then cut out the shapes from malleable material, then folding it on to a globe.These pieces put together should form a globe.Is this possible, and if it is, then how?
Thanks, B.
daan
Site Admin

Re: plans for a sculpture

Post by daan »

Interesting question.

It’s easy to create globe gores in Geocart. How practical the results are depend on details. For some globe gores you will want a “bleed” strip, a thin strip along the left and right edges of each gore section that has the same image as is at the edge of the neighboring gore section. You would tuck this bleed strip into the seam of the sphere. However, if the sphere is seamless then you may not want bleed, although sometimes it still makes sense on one edge of the gore so that you can tuck it under the neighboring gore.

If you do not need bleed then you can use the rectangular globe gore projection from Geocart, or any one of many other projections if they suit your materials better. If you need bleed, then the way to handle it is to create a single map for each gore, setting the extent of the map to be slightly larger than the theoretical gore width. That creates the bleed.

— daan
howitsmade

Re: plans for a sculpture

Post by howitsmade »

Thank You! I've got it now.
B.